Saturday, May 18, 2013

Ketchup


Ketchup is another eatery on the strip after turning right at Mussah ibn Nasser.  The first time I went, which was a while back, I thought it was a little on the pricey side, however they currently have a rather tasty looking menu,
one of their 'Signatures' being New Zealand lamb.



It's the only place I've found Pear Salad in Riyadh.  A few too many greens were piled into the plate for my liking, but I admired them for the concept.  And it's one of the first (and few) places I found that offered Kumara (that's sweet potato to you other fullas) chips.  They were quite more'ish.



The family section is up top.  Ketchup bottles hang suspended from the ceiling as you traipse up the stairs and there's a huge red tomato at one end of the restaurant continuing the saucy theme.  The red lighting over the window seats gives the place a pinkish hue.  The windows are nice and large too, affording quite a view of the street if you have a mind to stand up and gaze out that way.   Its quite open a upstairs.  Lots of read and white decor.  And there's a tiny outdoor verandah too, though it's not for dining on.


Along with the Pear Salad I ordered a Pizza.  The lamb would have to wait for another day.  The pizza was quite delicious.


Not many people were in the restaurant this week night, though I believe on weekends they get quite busy.  Although Ketchup is close to home, we usually walk past it to the main drag.  They have toned down the 'dramatic' red colour that used to make the place shine out like an ambulance siren and which, I have to admit, is one of the things that turned us off going there for quite some time after our first experience.

This time was much better, though there is still something cool about the ambience that I can't quite put my finger on.  Ketchup to me says warmth and fun and spice and good times, tucking into left overs with your mates and making mums Roast Beef into huge tomato and meat sammies.  (Actually, Watties Tomato Sauce has those connotations - can't help it, I'm a Kiwi).  Ketchup just seems to have missed the mark for me, at the moment.

If, of course, you don't care about ambiance and want to try Ketchup for what's on the menu, then ignore anything I've just said and give it a go.  Will be interesting to hear what you think.

Directions to Ketchup

View Dining Out In Riyadh in a larger map


Ka Kite,
Kiwi




No comments:

Post a Comment